Thursday, October 9, 2008

Vintage Thingie Thursday

When I was 12 or 13 years old (a long time ago!), I was in love with “Peanuts”. I even wrote to Charles Schultz, no answer, but I wrote . We lived in Chicago when I was little and there were the two big newspapers, The Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun Times. My Dad was a Sun Times man, he always said it was in an easier format to read. Now, mind you, Peanuts was in the Chicago Tribune. I had an Uncle who would save the papers for me so I could read the comic strip. He would come over every Sunday bring the paper and get us 5 kids, 2 dozen Good Humor bars from the ice cream truck. He never married and we were his family, I loved him dearly. Well, when I was in 7th grade we moved to a suburb of Chicago, St. Charles (where I am also raising my family) this wonderful, kind man, would cut the strip out every day, make it into a booklet and mail it to me. The other fun part was every two weeks or so one of the strips would be in color, I think it was on Wednesday. I still have these and will never part with them. He also got me my Snoopy Flying Ace music box that plays “over there”. Yes, it still works. My youngest daughter loves Peanuts too!! Check out the cost of Pepsi then! Thanks Leo xoxox








13 comments:

  1. what a sweet, sweet man to do that for you! awwww...=)...aren't memories like this the greatest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the peanuts too! I read them everyday and watched all the specials!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Peanuts! The price of Pepsi is almost enough to make a person sick, now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat treasure to have. Did you treat the clippings with any sort of fixative to keep them from yellowing and falling apart?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what sweet memories and memorabilia. My hubby and I always exchanged Peanuts cards while dating and after we got married...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always loved Snoopy - both the comic strip and the specials. I grew up in a Tribune family though. You happen to live in one of my favorite suburbs too. I'm your neighbor to the northwest (Schaumburg).
    What a great gift you have with all those vintage comics. The memories and the love behind them are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah the good old days. I'm such a vintage girl. I don't mean to say I live in the past but I relish the past. Pepsi bottles and Snoopy. What can be better? Charles Schultz's daughter has lived in my town for many years and her children have gone to school with my children. She has a lovely family. Your uncle is a thing of the past too, they don't make them like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah the good old days. I'm such a vintage girl. I don't mean to say I live in the past but I relish the past. Pepsi bottles and Snoopy. What can be better? Charles Schultz's daughter has lived in my town for many years and her children have gone to school with my children. She has a lovely family. Your uncle is a thing of the past too, they don't make them like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely story and how special that you've kept all those strips :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jane--

    I've been catching up on your fun blog. I LOVE the cottages you made with the Sugar N Spice group! Can I show them on my blog? Thanks so much---

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jane; I always loved the Sun Times for the same reason as your dad; it was easier to read! LOL: I hope you are all well; I have been trying to respond to all the kind comments and hope everyone received them; in case you didn't; I just want to say thank you for your kind words and love; it really helps when you come home and read such sweet things! Thanks Jane; Love to you all

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jane, That's such a sweet story. Don't you miss those olden days. I have recently been missing a wonderful uncle I had, that I loved dearly. He's been gone 19 years and I still miss him and wish we could go back in time, (sometimes) That sounds like my Uncle Jerry Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane, That's such a sweet story. Don't you miss those olden days. I have recently been missing a wonderful uncle I had, that I loved dearly. He's been gone 19 years and I still miss him and wish we could go back in time, (sometimes) That sounds like my Uncle Jerry Hugs

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!